Internet Alliance Roundtable is a monthly event host by IA Corporate Member to showcase its company profile, business philosophy and speciality in the tech industry. A topic that highlights on a specific concern of the industry will bring up for discussion, such as the current issues – challenges & opportunities, of the industry.
IA March Roundtable was hosted by Crayon Software Experts Malaysia Sdn Bhd at their new office in Mid Valley. The discussion topic of the session was “Digital Transformation among Corporates/SMEs on Business Operation”.
Below is the brief summary of the discussion :
- Microsoft license reporting process is tedious and may cause miss compliance, especially to a software/cloud solutions providers. Although Microsoft reporting requirement is stringent and challenging, however, the industry is still moving well. Solution providers just need to give extra care to the reporting.
- Traditionally to adopt digital in business, the company need to invest in hardware and software which was very costly and hence digital adoption is slow.
- In the modern days, cloud solutions are more affordable. However, this causes the cloud solutions market competitive and shrinking down the price.
- Solutions provider may white label its product to avoid in the price comparison.
- Some digital transformation reference cases were shared during the Roundtable:
- KFC and some fast food store established new outlets for digitalize experience (for order and payment) and as their test base before roll out in the market.
- Some shopping malls implement ticketless parking system.
- Property developer adopts IoT for showroom display and allows buyers to customize the layout of their unit.
- Local corporate are usually hesitate in continuous investment in a tech startup/eCommerce business (eg. GemFive). However, foreign funding makes the company sustain in a disrupting digital transformation business (eg. Grab).
- The Malaysia Digital Transformation agenda seems to rely on foreign forces too, such as the Ali Group.
The Roundtable discussion was wrapped up with below suggestion and comment by the attendees:
- Internet Alliance should take up the role to promote or advocate initiative from the government to promote the local company, local product (solutions) in the Digital Transformation mission.
- For instance, the Singapore government encourage businesses to use local technology solutions by doubling the incentive for users.
- In fundamental, before making a successful digital transformation in business, the business leader must have “mentally transform” by agreeing and accepting a new way of operating business.
- Mentally Transformation – Innovative, Creative & Tech Savvy, should start from the young generation.